2518 - 3172
OLD AND RARE BOOKS
- Occas. foxed/ soiled (incl. the plates); bookplate on upper pastedown. Joints and spine-ends sl. rubbed; corners and boardedges (partly) strengthened w. sellotape.
= The first edition of the Dutch translation by J. Konijnenburg of one of the earliest works on mimicry (first German ed. 1785-1786).
- Spine/ corners worn/ creased. Covers chafed. = Van der Haar, From Abbadie to Young II, 443 and 653.
AND 2 others similar, i.a. HET GEESTELYCK LUST-HOFKEN, Beplant met godtvruchtige oeffeningen (...) (Dunkirk, 1760, woodcut frontisp., contemp. hvellum).
- Fine. = Very rare (1x in NCC).
Merken, L.W. van. David. In twaalf boeken. Ibid., P. Meijer, 1767, (4),395,(1)p., 13 engr. plates by S. FOKKE, contemp. calf w. gilt floral borders around sides, gilt spine w. mor. letterpiece, sm. 4to.
- Spine sl. creased; spine-ends sl. worn/ dam.
- Occas. soiled; browned/ sl. foxed; various owner's entries on endpapers, title-p. and frontcover (i.a. H. Wiegersma (20th cent.). Outer turn-in of lower cover dam.; vellum soiled; tear in vellum at upper joint.
AND 1 other with schoolprize binding of Alkmaar (Spoelder, Alkmaar 3. Lacks manuscript prize and ties): P. FRANCIUS, Poëmata (Amst., 1682).
- Occas. trifle foxed in blank margins. Binding (sl.) worn along extremities.
= Attractive plates of costumes of i.a. Marken, Schokland, Scheveningen, Zaandam and Groningen. Landwehr, Dutch books w. Col. Plates 220, conforming to the copy in the Kostuummuseum, Prentenkabinet Leyden; Hiler p.13 (20 plates). The copies traced have a varying number of plates (between 12 and 32). SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXVI.
- Exceptionally fine handcolouring. Very fine copy in parts as issued in orig. wr. with the following minor defects: plates and wrappers partly sl. frayed in outer blank margins. Backstrip of portfolio sl. worn; portfolio lacks ties and w. traces of ticket on frontcover.
= The DELUXE edition with the plates ENTIRELY coloured (so-called "fijne kleuring", as is stated in contemp. manuscript on all frontwrappers). In the ordinary edition only the costumes are coloured. One of the finest costume books published in The Netherlands. In 1859 a second part with 18 plates was published. Landwehr, Dutch Books w. Col. Plates 242; F.M. 7270; Lipperheide Gb59; Colas 333. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXVI.
- Sl. incomplete as often: lacks the title-p. and three plates. Plates occas. trifle foxed. Corners and spine-ends rubbed/ sl. worn. Otherwise a good copy.
= Hiler p.560; Colas 1930; Landwehr, Dutch Books w. Col. Plates 276: "This is very likely one of the first Dutch costume books produced in lithography". As the work was published in instalments one seldomly finds complete copies, for instance Atlas van Stolk 5896 only 31 plates, KB Brussels only 21 plates, Rijksprentenkabinet 46 plates. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXVII.
- Bookplate of A. Pitlo on upper pastedown and old owner's entry on htitle; (sl.) foxed; hinges sl. weak. Spine worn.
= Colas 1221; Hiler p.364; not in Lipperheide; Gumuchian 2723: "Recueil curieux et peu commun". Colas dates the work ±1830, our copy with htitle in French reading "Seconde édition 1819". Nice children's book showing people from all over the world.
- Title-p. foxed; final plate frayed in blank margins; text leaves foxed as usual; one text leaf closed tear.
= Very fine and rare series. Landwehr, Dutch Books w. Col. Plates 289: "The difference [with Maaskamp's costume book] is to be found in Greeven's artistic approach of the subject since he places his figures against fine scenery as background." Lipperheide Gb 48; Colas 1311. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXVII.
- Some hinges of leporello weak. Otherwise fine.
= The nicely handcoloured plates showing people in regional dress from Scheveningen (2x), Urk, Marken (2x), Zaandam, Volendam, Zeeland, Friesland, Beveland and Hindelopen (2x).
- Two plates sl. dam. in blank outer margin and soiled on verso. Covers sl. browned and soiled/ waterst. Probably originally a leporello, now bound as an 8vo sized booklet.
= Landwehr, Dutch books w. Col. Plates, 318. Very rare, not in the usual costume reference works and only 1 copy in NCC. Nice costume plates, i.a. "Broek in Waterland", "Zaandam", "Eiland Marken", "Vlaardingen", "Scheveninger vischkar" (showing a dog-cart) and "Scheveningsche vischvrouwen".
- Lacks 10 plates and 1 leaf w. scores; a few plates sl. waterst./ foxed. Otherwise fine.
= Lipperheide Zb8; Colas 1584. Extremely rare run of the first Dutch periodical devoted mainly to fashion, also furniture, theatre, gardens, poetry etc. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXVII.
- Lacks 41 plates. Otherwise fine, nevertheless sold with all faults. = Lipperheide Zb8; Colas 1584.
- Spine-ends and joints rubbed/ sl. worn. Otherwise fine.
= Beautiful chromolithographed plates. Lipperheide Ca 17.
- Partly sl. waterstained in lower blank inner margin. Backstrip restored and lacquered (partly flaking off).
= A mixed edition of this popular costume book, containing the title-p. of the 3rd edition, but with one extra print from the 4th ed., numb. "XXI" in the accomp. text leaf. Lipperheide Gb 40; Hiler p.557; Landwehr, Dutch bvooks w. Col. Plates 362: "The first Dutch book of costumes dealing with various provinces (...) carefully hand-coloured plates (...)". SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXVII.
- Occas. sl. foxed; one plate loose; owner's entry and dedication on htitle. Covers sl. rubbed.
= Hiler p.242 note and p.702; Lipperheide Oc 52; Colas 2323.
- Owner's entry on printed title-p. Lacks endpapers; hinges broken (repaired); spine (clumsily) rebacked w. leather; covers worn.
= Lipperheide Gb45; Colas 2710; Hiler p.793. Plates of the local costume of i.a. Amsterdam (2x), Antwerp, Brabant, Broeck, Friesland, Hindelopen, Mons, Noord-Holland (2x), Rotterdam (8x), Valenciennes (7x) and Willemstad.
- Occas. trifle foxed. Covers reattached w. paper tape.
= Lipperheide Gb 47; Colas 2731; Hiler p.797. Rare. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXVIII.
- Frontisp. sl. yellowed spot; occas. sl. foxed. Binding worn along extremities; backcover sl. dam.; backstrip worn. Nevertheless a fine copy.
= Gelli 369; Thimm p.117; Vigeant p.63; Lipperheide Td 44; cat. En Garde! (Corble collection) 43: "(...) het schitterendste werk sinds de publicatie van Thibault d'Anvers. (...) men voelt dat het schermen op weg is naar de volledigheid en de elegantie (...)." SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXVIII.
Last Updated: Thursday, 31 July 2014 03:19