4646 - 4918 FINE ARTS - 16th-19th CENTURY DRAWINGS, WATERCOLOURS and PAINTINGS
- Gluestains in all corners. = Probably English sketches of i.a. "digitalis" or foxglove.
Anonymous (19th cent.). (Study of a boy). Drawing, pencil, 21,5x18 cm., on blue laid paper.
- Browned. = On laid paper with watermark "CM".
- Some foxed spots.
- Left margin cut off; sl. browned.
= Wth the collector's mark of Ch. Martyne (Lugt 1800) on recto.
AND 8 other drawings, i.a. courtyards of farms and other rural buildings.
- Some craquelure in the darker parts; glue remnants in (blank) margins.
- Foxed; pinholes in corners.
AND 9 other drawings, all views, i.a. French street views (Montmartre?) and Dutch landscapes (partly w. unread artist stamp).
- Central fold.
= According to the annotation an entry for an announced competition in the Roman periodical 'Fantasio". Drawing in art nouveau style.
AND 2 other drawings: a 1920's costume design and an expressionist costume design (?).
- Sl. foxed; w. some rubbed/ dam. spots. Sold w.a.f.
- Small hole affecting image; pinholes, creases and a few small tears in outer margins.
Idem. (Skeleton). Drawing, charcoal, 80x52 cm. (middle-fold). - AND ±20 other large academic drawings, various techniques, subjects and styles, late 19th to first half 20th cent.
- Needs cleaning.
- Two glue stains from former mount shining through in upper corners.
AND 7 other sketchleaves with Dutch views, i.a. Dordrecht, probably all by the same artist.
- Nibbled by silverfish, not affecting the image. = Skillful drawing.
AND 6 other drawings of nudes, all but one female, 5x in black chalk, 1x watercolour.
= Interesting collection of technically fine drawings of richly decorated rooms, wall panels, ceiling ornaments and furniture. Possibly for a house of the Russian general Aleksej Fjodorovitsj Orlov, who was frequently called "Prince Orloff". SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXXI.
- Lower edge w. chips, probably from a sketchbook. = Perhaps signed in the station's clock "E.J. Wagner".