5839 - 6022 FINE ARTS - 16th-19th CENTURY DRAWINGS, WATERCOLOURS and PAINTINGS
- Left margin verso remains of former mount showing on recto. = SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXXVI.
- Four diagonal folds; yellowed; a few scattered spots; upper margin faded.
= With a watermark showing a Greek cross.
- Small annot. in pen on verso; sl. yellowed.
= Attribution to E. VAN DE VELDE (1587-1630) on accompanying mount. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXXVI.
- Corners impaired on verso.
= Attribution to S. DELLA BELLA (1610-1664) on accompanying mount.
- Tipped onto mount at three corners.
- Leaf yellowed; edges lined w. paper on verso from former passepartout.
= On paper with watermark of fleur-de-lis within circle, monogram NM below.
- Sl. foxed.
= According to an accompanying note, attributed to a Simon Savery by the arthistorian prof. dr. Emil Reznicek and from his collection. But probably by Salomon Savery (1594-1683), who engraved prints (mostly after Quast) of very similar figures. Cf. i.a. Hollstein (S. Savery) 53 and 64. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXXVII.
- On paper with post horn watermark. Some soiling and sl. staining.
AND a small anonymous 18th(?) cent. sketch in pen and brown ink of three putti.
- Lower corners and part of right blank margin restored; trifle yellowed.
= Fuhring, Houthakker, 989: "(...) it is possible to suggest that the present drawing is a project for a temporary structure erected for a fête in a Roman Catholic church." Provenance: Sotheby's 25-11-1971. Nice architecural sketch. On paper with watermark showing an anchor.
- Trifle darkened in top corners. = Titled on mount. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXXVII.
- Drawn on two attached sheets (lower strip of 15,2x4 cm. possibly later and in sl. lighter grey ink); laid down on mount along all margins.
- Sl. creased and stained. = On paper with "D&C Blauw" watermark.
- Some restorations, most notably in the upper corners, just above her head, on her forehead, her throat and a horizontal stripe in the middle; whitish stains on right side.
= After Gerard van Honthorst. This portrait is a detail of the figure Pictura from his painting "Allegory of Painting". With a 19th century manuscript attribution to Theodor Cornelisz. (van) Schuer (1638-1707) on verso panel. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXXVII.
- Sl. foxed. = On paper with 'Vryheyt' watermark (resembling Churchill 90).
- Some very vague foxing; vague waterstain in lower margin. = SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXXVIII.
- Sl. dustsoiled.
- On paper with elaborate Pro Patria watermark and "HW" watermark; vertical middle fold; some marginal tears/ chips; trifle creased.
= SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXXVIII.