4628 - 4844 FINE ARTS - JAPANESE PRINTS, DRAWINGS and ILLUSTRATED BOOKS, ORIENTAL and TRIBAL ARTS
- Trifle yellowed.
- A few leaves sl. rubbed; occas. fingersoiled. Wrappers worn.
= Kyôgen (meaning "mad words" or "wild speech") is a form of Japanese comic theater.
AND 1 later ehon.
- Occas. waterstained towards the end; some (restored and unobtrusive) wormholes, also affecting images; orig. wr. worn; "Kanonkyo Riyaku Monogatari" in felt-tip pen on spine.
AND 2 other ehon: an unidentified 18th cent.(?) book with 2 single-p. and 1 double-p. woodcut ills. showing hunting scenes, and a 20th cent. artists' manual w. num. col. woodcut ills.
- Some wormholing; a few light brown stains.
- Occas. trifle wormholed, contents otherwise fine. Hashira-title strip dam.
AND 1 ehon by TSUBAKI CHINZAN.
= Play unidentified. Osaka School, possibly by Hirosada.
AND 4 other drawings.
- Sl. foxed in lower margin.
AND 11 others, mostly full-p. woodcut ills. from various ehon, but also incl. a nice anonymous drawing in pen and ink (a landscape with scattered buildings and a lake in the foreground).
- Central vertical fold; glue stain of former sellotape on fold shining through.
AND 1 other drawing.
- First two leaves trifle waterstained. Wrappers sl. worn; title slip sl. dam.
= SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXII.
- Tipped on mount; trifle foxed.
- Brown soiling.
AND 1 other gouache of three pigeons, probably Japanese school, 20th cent., signature and stamps unread, also framed.
- Sl. yellowed; laid down on stiff paper.
AND 3 others, all col. woodcuts of fowl, various size, i.a. a col. woodcut horizontal ôban of two ducks and a kingfisher (thin spot in the middle; partly sl. yellowed).
- Some vague waterstains; sl. creased. Orig. wrappers worn, creased and sl. soiled.
= Nice collection of pattern designs with so-called yuzen colouring, showing landscapes, plants, birds, other animals, toys and geometrical shapes, the patterns often consisting of randomly scattered small patches of repeated or similar shapes/ objects.
- Some scattered sl. damages (i.a. flaked-off paint) and spotting.
= Unidentified theme(s)/ story/ stories. Detailed, skillful drawings.
- Sl. waterstained. = The bodhisattvas Manjushri and Vajrapani are shown in lower corners.
- The first print w. closed tear in right margin and lower blank margin; both prints yellowed/ trifle foxed/ creased.
- Fine copy. = Title and artist unread.
- Some wormholing, almost throughout and in various sizes.
= Nevertheless a nice album, with two attractive large panoramas of the lake (one stretching over 8 leaves (total size: 29x161 cm.); both affected by wormholes); also containing several views of temples and mountains.
- Second watercolour w. an old horizontal fold.