881 - 966 VARIA. EROTICA, FASHION AND COSTUME, GASTRONOMY, JUDAICA , MUSIC, PHILOSOPH
- Cl. trifle speckled.
= Fine publication with foot fetishism photographs by Elmer Batters (1919-1997), the famous 'leg photographer', the book lacks the woman's stocking in which it was originally packed.
Kroll, E. Elmer Batters. From the tip of the toes to the top of the hose. Ibid., idem, 1995, 215p., num. (col.) photogr. ills., orig. cl., 4to.
- Lacks the dustwr.; cl. (sl.) soiled.
AND 2 others, i.a. FLEUR ET CHANTS DE LA VOLUPTE (1981).
- Some occas. markings/ underlinings. Bindings sl. worn at extremities; plates vol. upper joint splitting.
= Hayn/ Gotendorf IX, p.280.
AND 1 other by the same: Geschlechtsanomalien und Perversionen (n.d., orig. cl.)
- A few vols. occas. foxed and hinges weak. All covers sl. soiled; a few vols. spine-ends sl. frayed.
= Hayn/ Gotendorf I, p.93 and IX, p.12ff; Stern-Szana p.84ff. First edition of a numbered edition for scholarly purposes, bound in representative uniform private bindings. F.S. Krauss (1859-1839) was an ethnograph and folklorist, who studied the sex-life of different ethnic groups. Because of the subject of his studies he was attacked and prosecuted. He tried to create understanding for the deviant sexual preferences of human kind by studying them.
- All vols. (sl.) foxed. A few vols. covers sl. dam. near joints or spine-ends. = Hayn-Gotendorf. IX, 15 f.
AND 1 other: I. BLOCH, Das Sexualleben unserer Zeit (Berlin, 1907, hcl.)
- Wrapper sl. creased and wrinkled.
Madonna. Sex. (Paris), Vade Retro, 1992, 1st ed., (66) lvs., num. photogr. plates/ ills. by i.a. S. MEISEL and D. LEW, col. ills., ringbound between orig. pierced and blindst. aluminium covers, 4to.
- Without the CD and the orig. board box.
AND 9 others, i.a. P. HAMMOND, French Undressing. Naughty postcards from 1900 to 1920 (London, 1976, (col.) ills., orig. boards w. dustwr., 4to); A. LECOMTE, Erotische prentbriefkaarten (Hoevelaken, 1999, ills., orig. boards, obl. 8vo); A. DE MONTEL, Cartes postales pornographiques de la Belle Époque (Paris, 1982, ills., orig. cl., sq. 8vo); AKT 69 (Flensburg, 1969, profusely illustrated, orig. hcl., 4to) and R. BARKER, Sauce. Cheeky Pictures, Jocular Jests and Racy Rhymes of days gone by (n.pl., n.d., num. (col.) ills., orig. wr., 4to).
- First work yellowed and last lvs. loose. = Encyklopädie der (modernen) Kriminalistik.
AND 6 others, i.a. J.R. BIRLINGER, Das grausame Weib (Vienna/ Leipsic, (1928), (col.) plates/ ills., orig. gilt cl.); DIE FÜNF SINNE (ibid., (1929), (col.) plates/ ills., orig. gilt cl. Sl. weak on upper hinge); L. SCHIDROWITZ, Sittengeschichte der Liebkosung und Strafe (ibid., (1928), (col.) plates/ ills., orig. dec. cl. Backstrip dec. defective).
= J. MARCADÉ, Eros Kalos. Studie über die erotischen Darstellungen in der griechischen Kunst (1962); C. GROSBOIS, Shunga, Frühlingsbilder. (...) in der japanischer Kunst (1968); J. MARCADÉ, Roma Amor. (...) in der etruskisch -römischen Kunst (1968); G. TUCCI, Rati-lila. (...) in der nepalesischen Kunst (1969); ETIEMBLE, Yun-Yu. Studie über Erotik und Liebe im alten China (1970).
- Sl. foxed throughout; all vols. w. sm. owner's stamp on htitle or first blank; all vols. upper hinge weak/ broken. All vols. binding worn along extremities.
= Colas 377; Hiler p.101; Lipperheide Cb4. Very nice handcoloured plates.
- Spine sunned; lowerhinge sl. weak; otherwise a fine copy.
= Rare. Not in the usual reference works.
- Offsetting from opposite plates; sl. foxed; partly waterstained. Sold w.a.f.
= Lipperheide Haa27 (listing 48 plates); Hiler p.776.
- Plates occas. trifle foxed.; years 35, 41 and 42 sl. foxed throughout; year 43 1 plate loose. Corners of most vols. showing.= Year 48 bound w. a number of lvs. containing sheetmusic at the end.
- All vols. foxed throughout, occas. affecting the plates; vols. 6 and 7 occas. sl. waterstained; a few lvs. of vol. 8 repaired w. sellotape and 1 plate loosening. All bindings worn along extremities.
= Colas 1935.
- Lacks 2 plates; year 39 lacks portion; upper hinge year 39 weak. Worn along extremities; covers sl. damaged.
= Colas 2082.
AND 4 others mostly sl. poor copies, i.a. ILLUSTRIRTE FRAUEN-ZEITUNG (Berlin, 1878, 9 handcol. steelengr. plates, num. woodengr. ills., contemp. hcl.).
- Joints trifle rubbed. Very fine complete set. = Lipperheide Ad 52; Colas 2471. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XLI.
- Fine and rare.
- Lacks 2 plates (ed. 1869 and 1909) and possibly 1 frontisp.; 2 vols. sl. foxed; 1 vol. w. a few inkstains and torn frontisp.; first 6 lvs. of the 1893 ed. sl. frayed, affecting 1 plate. Four vols. rebacked w. use of orig. backstrip; covers of all vols. sl. soiled; binding of the 1896 ed. loose; upper joint of ed. 1909 weak.
= Editions 197.000, 313.000, 693.000, 1888, 1893, 1896 and 1909. "The book was aimed at a generation of middle-class women who, for the first time in history, had not learned household skills from their mothers. (..) She was one of the first cookery writers to list all the ingredients at the beginning of the recipe, so that the housewife could make sure she had everything she needed before she started. She was also more accurate about timings and temperatures than any of her predecessors. As a result her recipes are easy to follow even for those who had no experience in the kitchen". K. Hughes for the British Library (https://www.bl.uk/romantics-and-victorians/articles/mrs-beeton-and-the-art-of-household-management). Bitting p. 32 (1st edition of 1861): "important English work"; Simon, Bibl. Gastr. 186 (also the 1st ed.); Oberlé, Fastes 236 (ed. 1869): "Traité extrêmement complet sur l'art de tenir une grande maison bourgeoise à l'époque victorienne. Une vraie bible (...)". One of the earliest cookery books with colour-printed plates.
- Occas. sl. foxed. Spine-ends worn; 2 vols. joints splitting.