4797 - 4946 FINE ARTS - JAPANESE PRINTS, DRAWINGS and ILLUSTRATED BOOKS, ORIENTAL and TRIBAL ARTS
= Interesting scroll with drawings showing the various parts of a soldier's uniform and his armour and weapons, as well as flags, banners and other accoutrements. Rare, nothing comparable traced. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXIV.
- Sl. dam. and sl. wormholed in lower margin, just touching image. = Attractive drawing.
Hokusai (1760-1849) (style of). (Running devil holding a brush and ink in his hands). Drawing, brush and ink on paper, 7,8x8 cm.
- Laid down on mount. = Attribution to Hokusai and "Coll. Hayashi" in pencil on passepartout.
AND 3 other drawings.
= Drawings of animals, landscapes and people, i.a. cranes in flight, a grotesque portrait of a man with a toad on his shoulder, a group of clothed mice climbing a sheaf of wheat, a large group of tortoises.
- Laid down on board; sl. creased and some sl. worn spots; vaguely waterstained and sl. yellowed.
- Browned and sl. rubbed at places; apparently brittle, w. several repaired cracks and damages and w. sm. tear and 2 tiny holes in the body of the dog.
- Doubled w. thin Japanese.
- Both with horizontal fold (1x vague).
- Doubled; sl. duststained.
- Some wormholing, almost throughout and in various sizes.
= Despite its defects a nice album, with two attractive large panoramas of the lake (one stretching over 8 leaves (total size: 29x161 cm.); both affected by wormholes); also containing several views of temples and mountains.
- Both fading under former passepartout. = Attractive views.
- Both w. (vague) horizontal fold.
- Occas. sl. foxed. Small moth-eaten spot on backcover. Otherwise fine.
= I.a. drawings of a moored ship; a group of 6 deer on a grassy patch; two houses in front of a high mountain; fishermen and women selling their catch on the beach and various landscapes.
Anonymous (1st half 20th cent.). Album with 12 double-p. watercolours, 1934, (2)p. w. manuscript text in brush and ink, watercolours each 24x36 cm., most w. artist's seal, bound as a blockbook, orig. dec. light brown silk w. white silk title-strip, a.e.g.
= Some names: Masayoshi and Kakuyu; some subjects: a seated lady with a pine tree branch in her hand; a bird on a branch with red berries; two turned-over mushrooms with 2 yellow leaves; a sketch of a monk seated in front of a fire. Attractive album.
= Attractive collection of watercolours.
Anonymous (late 18th cent.). "Kiku gen hiden nijukyu kajo ezu mokuroku" (Surveyor's Illustrated Handbook). N.d. (±1800), (34) manuscript pages, pen and grey ink, 18 ills. in brush and grey and red ink, orig. wr.
- Some wormholing; a few light brown stains.
- Soiled spots on the faces and hand of the ladies.
- Very fine set. One vol. sm. tear (15 mm.) in frontwr.
= Beautiful reprint of the Shih Chu-Chai Chien-p'u (Collection of decorated writing paper from the Ten Bamboo Studios); after the edition published by Hu Cheng-yen in 1644. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXX.
- With holes in right margin from former binding; soiled.
AND 3 others by the same, probably all from the same work, all in similar condition, showing white cranes, a woodpecker and small spotted birds.
= Attractive drawings, i.a. a doctor inspecting the mouth of fishlike creature, a man on horseback crossing a river and a mouse, a cock and a chicken near a river.