4500 - 4776 FINE ARTS - 16th-19th CENTURY DRAWINGS, WATERCOLOURS and PAINTINGS
- Vaguely (water)stained.
- Both eroded (portrait of de Groot worse).
= Most likely Pieter de Groot (1615-1678), son of Hugo Grotius and Willem van der Borcht (1622-1651 or 1668) actor from Southern Brabant, with his family coat of arms in the background. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXI.
- Doubled, with small closed (unobtrusive) hole; soiled in left margin.
= With the collector's mark of Albert van Loock on verso (Lugt 3751).
- Sl. soiled mostly in corners; laid down on later paper.
= The orginal signature has been traced with darker pen and ink, so perhaps not Braure but Braun. With the collector's mark of P. Fourché (Lugt 1039).
- Some foxing. = Monogrammed "A.C." (or N.G.?) on mount.
- Some old folds and creases; 2 brown (smoke?) stains; small hole in outer right blank margin.
- Lower and upper left corner professionally restored. Otherwise fine.
= Later (unlikely) pencil annot. on verso "Van Goyen".
- Tipped onto mount in the corners.
- Laid down on mount.
= With the collection mark "Vente Troyon" (Lugt 2407), sale of the collection of the French painter Constant Troyon on recto. And the collector's mark of Albert van Loock (Lugt 3751) on verso. With an attribution on verso to Nicolas Poussin, but more in the style of his brother-in-law Gaspard Dughet, but the paper appears to be 18th century.
- A few sm. stains. = A naïve but charming drawing. Cf. Hollstein 7.
- Stained; margins trimmed; upper left corner and sm. section left edge restored with contemp. paper.
= With an attribution to François Perrier in pencil on recto. The characters are identified in pen and brown ink above: "Thais", "Eunuchus", "Parmoeno" and "Dorias", also 3 unidentified characters. With the collector's mark of Emile Lachenaud (Lugt 3473) on verso and an unidentified collector's mark (Lugt 3476, always found in combination with Lugt 3473, perhaps Martial Lachenaud) on verso mount.
- Tipped onto mount. = On laid paper with partial watermark of Amsterdam coat of arms.
AND an early 19th century watercolour showing a maid milking cows by C.F. PETRI.
- Soiled; upper and lower margins trimmed; upper right corner sm. portion torn off.
= On laid paper with watermark showing a double mirrored French lily above an heraldic shield.
- Laid down; two wormholes in upper left part; (finger)soiled along edges.
= With the collector's mark of Nino Carozzi (Lugt 3606) in lower left corner recto. After/ in the style of Jeronimo Jacinto Espinosa.
Anonymous (18th cent.?). (Man in robes looking up). Drawing, black and white chalk, 30,7x22,5cm.
- Some stains; upper edge sl. frayed.
- Some vague folds and soiling; sl. foxed.
- Remargined; sl. foxed. = On paper with a watermark showing "DEHA...(?)".
- Unevenly browned (due to passepartout).
= According to an annotation on verso sold in Brussels in 1928 from the collection Weckesser. With an attribution to "G. Saftleben" in pencil, "G" corrected in pen and ink to H. and "Rotterd. 1609-1695" in pen and brown ink.
- Trifle duststained.
= On verso a mirrored copy of the drawing. Amusing scene. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXI.