4500 - 4776 FINE ARTS - 16th-19th CENTURY DRAWINGS, WATERCOLOURS and PAINTINGS
- Laid down on board; corners clipped; chips in lower and upper edge paper.
= With SIGNED (?) dedication on verso mount in pen and ink: "To Miss Heemskerck with Walter Wm. May, Kind regards. 34 Perry St., May 6th 1886. London". Miss Heemskerck is probably a family member of artist Jacob Eduard van Heemskerck van Beest, perhaps his daughter the artist J.B. van Heemskerck van Beest. See also lot
- Tipped onto a 19th cent. mount, with an attribution/ signature (?) "F.A. Milatz" in pencil.
= SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXV.
- Repaired section in upper right corner.
- Sm. tear in right margin; vaguely dampstained in lower margin and vaguely foxed in upper margin.
= With metal stylus tracing on verso for the purpose of creating a print plate. With unidentified collector's mark stamped in red ink "W" in lower right corner of drawing and on mount (Lugt 2593). Watermark partly present (a bunch of grapes), not identified. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXX.
= Harbour unidentified. Manuscript collector's mark "C.J. v.d. K. 1840" on verso (unidentified).
- Both drawings tipped onto mount; both drawings partly browned.
- Sl. yellowed and w. dust spots.
Anonymous (19th cent.). (A dirt road over a stream with a forest in the background). Drawing, brush/ pen and brown and black ink, 26,7x37,8 cm.
- Sl. duststained in upper part. = Perhaps by the same artist.
- Laid down under passepartout. = SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXVI.
- Sl. browned and foxed.
= On verso a 17th century signature/ annotation in pen and ink: "CNetscher geschildert 1670" and "in mirrt(?)" A very similar drawing, a study for the Death of Cleopatra, was sold at Sotheby's Amsterdam in 1998.
- Slightly frayed; 7 pinholes in upper margin.
- Sl. browned and soiled; some offsetting from paper remnants.
= With manuscript annot. on verso by the son of Balthazar Paul Ommeganck: "Ce dessin est l'ouvrage de B.P. Ommeganck mon père [signed:] P. Ommeganck". SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXVI.