4500 - 4776 FINE ARTS - 16th-19th CENTURY DRAWINGS, WATERCOLOURS and PAINTINGS
= SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXII.
- Two old horizontal folds.
= Paper with unidentified watermark. With later/ modern annotation in pencil on verso: "Schizzo per un al fresco di un capiletto in vicinanza d'Isola della Scalo (...)".
= An attractive group of drawings.
- Copper partly sl. irregular (i.a. tiny dents); a few tiny spots with loss of paint; overall bright and vivid colouring.
= Both pictures show courting scenes between a man and a woman of nobility in 17th century costume. The genre paintings are inspired by the 17th century Dutch painting tradition and equipped with iconographic elements referring to love and affection. SEE ILLUSTRATIONS PLATE LXIII.
= On laid paper with watermark of Lubertus van Gerrevin "LVG". With a modern attribution in pencil on verso to Joh. H. Prins (1757-1806).
- Sl. yellowed. = Nice, sl. naive drawing.
- Formerly laid down, thin areas; chip in lower edge; sl. soiled.
= Probably a part of a larger drawing. The man perhaps tries to control a staggering horse.
- Sl. rubbed in left margin; a few sm. stains.
- With a pencil grid, perhaps to copy the composition for a print or painting; probably taken from a mount, w. vague glue residue on verso.
= On paper with a watermark showing "AI". SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXII.
- Laid down on paper mount; trifle foxed. = Provenance: Collectie Dr. J.G. de Lint.
- Laid down on board; some mold (?) spots.
- Vague horizontal brown streak above the head of the shepherd.
AND 2 others drawings, both framed, i.a. an anonymous 19th cent. view of a town gate with adjacent buildings (drawing, brush and grey wash, 15x12,3 cm.).
= Perhaps depicting a classic author. With a Pro Patria watermark.
- Leaf frayed.
= In the centre a reversible head of a fool and a cardinal. The title translates as "Fools are wise men sometimes".
= SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXIII
= Later annot. in pencil on verso "Sannes [or "Jannes"] Tiel".