1998 - 2100 FOREIGN HISTORY AND TOPOGRAPHY, TRAVELS
- View and table (sl.) foxed, mostly in blank margins; some offsetting from turn-ins. Nevertheless a fine copy.
= Tiele 73; Cox I, p.397; cf. Kainbacher I, p.16 (German ed. 1801).
- Three paper tickets (incl. bookplate) on upper pastedown; sm. ticket on lower pastedown; sl. foxed/ (finger)soiled; (repaired) tears in frontisp.; first free endpaper sl. frayed; sm. (water)stains on hinges. Covers sl. discol.; rebacked(?).
= Abbey Travel, 347; Mendelssohn I, p.908-910; Henze III, p.270; Gay 3034; cf. Kainbacher p.87. PMM 341: "Livingstone's services to African geography during thirty years are almost unequalled (...). He made three great expeditions; in 1853-56 (described in this book), 1858-64 and 1865-73, of which the first and third are the most important. During these years he explored vast regions of central Africa, many of which had never been seen by white men before." SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XLV.
- Both vols. paper ticket on first free endpaper; both maps w. a few sm. tears near folds. Spine-ends sl. rubbed; 2nd vol. frontcover sl. discol.
= Stanley's account of his 4th and last African expedition all the way from the East Coast to Egypt. The original English edition was published in 1890.
Jephson, A.J.M. A.J. Mounteney Jephson bij Emin Pacha in de Equatoriaal-Provincie. Ibid., idem, (±1890), (8),X,437p., fold. col. lithogr. map., woodcut (full-p.) ills., orig. gilt pict. cl. unif. w. the above.
- Paper ticket on first free endpaper; tear in htitle repaired w. sellotape. Spine-ends sl. rubbed.
- Some occas. sl. foxing. Corners sl. worn. Fine copy.
= Gay 899; Kayser 620; Playfair 665; Lipperheide Ma 24.
- Both vols. bookplate on upper pastedown; occas. trifle foxed. Spine-ends sl. worn. A fine set.
- Plates foxed. Spine ends worn. = Sabin 58009.
AND 2 others: C. ROMINGER, Geological survey of Michigan. Lower Peninsula 1873-1876. Vol. III. (New York, 1876, fold. map loosely inserted in rear pocket, phototype and tinted lithogr. plates, orig. cl.) and C.R. KEYES, Paleontology of Missouri. Part I (Jefferson City, 1894, fold. lithogr. map, plates, orig. giltlettered cl. Presentation slip by the author on upper pastedown).
- Vertically folded.
= With stamp "Pensée et Action. Hem Day" on verso. Hem Day was the pseudonym of Marcel Dieu (1902-1969), notorious Belgian anarchist and publisher. Possibly a design for the heading of a (never published) anarchist periodical.
- Occas. sl. yellowed (not affecting the plates).
= Second Dutch edition. D. Cranz (1723-1777), German Greenland traveller and Moravian Brother. Detailed sections on i.a. Eskimos, the founding of the first Hernhut mission on Greenland, whales and whaling. Henze II, 750: "Seine Historie von Grönland, ausgezeichnet durch feine, vielseitige Beobachtungen, ist neben der Beschreibung des H. Egede das vollständigste Gemälde von Grönland im 18. Jahrhundert, ein Werk, das auch heute noch mehr als nur historisches Interesse beanspruchen darf". Lauridsen II, 54; Tiele 282, note; Sabin 17415; Chavanne 5634; Cat. NHSM p.302.
- All vols. bookplates/ tickets/ stamps on pastedowns and/ or verso of 1st plate; sl. (finger)soiled; hinges widening; few quires loosening. Spines discol.; spine-ends sl. worn.
= Hilmy II, p. 239.
- The fold. map of France loose and mounted on new linen (closing tears along folds); partly waterstained in lower blank margin; tear in map of Central Europe repaired; occas. owner's annot. Backstrip dam.
= From the library of C. Koeman, with his bookplate on upper pastedown.
AND 5 others, i.a. M. ALLAIN, Atlas Universel Quillet (Paris/ Strassbourg/ Brussels, 1933, 2 vols., 99 fold./ double-p. col. maps and plans, orig. unif. giltlettered blindst. hmor., narrow folio) and (C.J.) DRIOUX and CH. LEROY, Atlas Universel et Classique de Géographie ancienne, Romaine, du Moyen Age, moderne et contemporaine (Paris, 1898, new ed., 98 (hand)col. lithogr. maps on double-p. plates, contemp. (worn) hcl., folio).
- One map w. sm. rubbed spot/ stain. = Koeman VI, Kanj A4.
- Upper joint splitting at foot of spine.
- Hinges splitting; title-p. and 8 maps foxed (3x also yellowed/ browned); sl. waterstained in upper margin throughout. Worn along extremities; lacks backstrip.
AND 1 other atlas.
- Occas. sl. stained, mostly on title-pages and frontispieces; stamp on title-pages; map sl. dam. and restored (on verso) w. sellotape.
= Ferguson 2811. Rare.
- Both vols. bookplate on upper pastedown; some foxing. Rebacked.
= Vol. 1 with AUTOGRAPH SIGNED DEDICATION on htitle.
- Contents sl. soiled and occas. inkstained. Dustwr. soiled.
= Rare illustrated account of the commemorative celebration of the 200 years anniversary of the moving of the Holy Blood of Christ from Esch (Noord-Brabant) to Hoogstraten.