4506 - 4625 FINE ARTS - JAPANESE PRINTS, DRAWINGS AND ILLUSTRATED BOOKS, ORIENTAL ARTS
= Decorative colourful prints.
Anonymous (19th cent.). (An oiran). Kakejiku, col. woodcut, 67x22 cm. (image), 138x28 cm. (total size), rolled on jikugi.
- Browned and sl. creased.
= Depicting i.a. the nursing of a baby, reading and praying.
- All vols. thumbed in lower outer corner(s), occas. (finger)soiled and occas. restored in lower margin. Wrappers sl. dampstained (not affecting contents).
= Impressive series of woodcuts (without the text), made by Hokusai's son-in-law for Kyokutei Bakin's famous novel Nansō Satomi Hakkenden, which consists of 106 parts. Hillier p.718f and p.726. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXII.
- Chip near lower right corner in lower edge.
AND 9 others, i.a. by KUNISADA and YOSHITOSHI.
- Faded; tipped onto mount along top margin. = Attractive woodcut.
- Lacks one single-p. and one double-p. col. woodcut; most plates fingersoiled in lower outer corner and margins. Wrappers worn and creased.
= Incl. two remarkable fold. plates: one with a sm. folding flap that shows a lizard changing into a bird and plate that can be unfolded 4 times to reveal part of an ongoing story in a sequential fashion. Rare. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXIII.
= From the album Sei no Utsushi Shi-jû-hachi Kwachô (48 prints of flowers and birds).
= Keyes, copies of surimono 67, probably copy A.
Shigenobu (1787(?)-1833). (Woman seated at loom). Col. woodcut surimono w. some gold and karazuri (gauffrage), 18,5x17,7 cm., signed Shigenobu.
= Keyes, copies of surimono 134, probably copy A or B.
AND 1 other: (A fountain in a garden spouting water through a frog) (19,5x27 cm., signature (unread)).
- A later edition.
= One vol. concerning marine wildlife, one vol. insects and flowers and one vol. landscapes.
- Both sl. yellowed.
= Chaïkin 42. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXX
- Laid down on stiff paper.
- Second print w. brown stains.
= From the series Yoshitoshi mushaburui (Yoshitoshi's Courageous Warriors).