4506 - 4625 FINE ARTS - JAPANESE PRINTS, DRAWINGS AND ILLUSTRATED BOOKS, ORIENTAL ARTS
= Three scenes of the Battle of Weihaiwei (1895) during the first Sino-Japanese War.
= Scenes from the First Sino-Japanese War.
- Both doubled, both fine. = SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXX.
AND 2 others similar by the same (one trifle creased in lower left corner and one sl. foxed).
- Doubled, otherwise fine. = SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXI.
AND 9 similar col. woodcuts by the same, mostly printed w. silver (all but 1 doubled, 5x w. central fold).
= Both scenes from the First Sino-Japanese War.
- A few strengthened spots.
= Part of a triptych titled Shunshoku Yakata no shishimai (Colour of Spring, lion dance at the mansion).
Kunisada (1786-1865). (A woman offering a cup, while holding on to a pole). Col. woodcut ôban printed with silver and bronze, signed shigen no ôju Toyokuni ga, publ. Yamamotoya Heikichi, Mera and Watanabe censor seal.
- Sm. dam. in upper left corner; doubled.
AND 2 others, i.a. KUNISADA, (Woman walking through a mountainous landscape) (col. woodcut ôban, signed Gototei Kunisada ga. Faded and worn copy).
- Doubled; traces of old manuscript on verso, sl. shining through on recto.
Kunisada (1786-1865). (The actor Ichikawa Danzô V as Mondono Suke). Col. woodcut ôban, signed Gototei Kunisada ga, no publ., kiwame censor seal.
- Sl. soiled; a few sm. holes, partly restored w. paper on verso.
- Possibly part of a triptych; both actors spotted on arms and faces; a few tiny wormholes in both sheets.
AND 1 other.
- Right hand leaf sl. wormholed in top right cartouche; old number in pen on verso shining through in lower left corner.
- Sl. rubbed; a few thin spots; doubled w. Japanese.
- A few sm. wormholes; one woodcut w. small thick pieces of mounting paper in upper corners.
= SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXX.
- Sl. stained; doubled; closed tear in upper margin.
Kuniyoshi (1797-1861). (The monk Ikkyû from the Daitokuji Cloister in Kyoto). Col. woodcut ôban, signed Ichiyûsai Kuniyoshi ga, publ. Shôfukudô Jôshûya Kinzô, kiwame seal.
- Stained; nibbled by a silverfish; doubled. Part of a triptych.
- Small closed wormhole in right margin.