4646 - 4918 FINE ARTS - 16th-19th CENTURY DRAWINGS, WATERCOLOURS and PAINTINGS
- Fully mounted. = Nice drawing, sitter unidentified.
ADDED: Roussel, T.C. (1847-1926). Mrs. Cyprian Williams. Drypoint, 14,3x5 cm., signed "Theodore Roussel (...)" in pencil and (vaguely) in the plate.
- Trimmed to/ within the platemark; a few vague curved scratches/ creases; sl. soiled.
= Very fine etching, like a fine pencil drawing. Sitter identified on passepartout.
- Large section upper left corner replaced w. stiff paper; sl. soiled.
Anonymous (19th cent.). (A young Italian shepherd watching over a flock of sheep in the shadow of a grove near Nettuno). Drawing, black, red and white chalk, 25,5x43,5 cm., "Nettuno, Aprile 53". - AND 2 other drawings showing trees.
- One sm. dam. spot in left margin.
= Attribution in old pen and ink on mount. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XCVII.
- Browned unevenly, with offsetting from former passepartout.
= Provenance: sold at auction Paul Brandt, Amsterdam in february 1971. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XCVII.
= On laid paper with watermark showing anchor within a circle. Probably after the print by Giovanni Battista de Cavalieri (after da Volterra) or after the print by Robert van Audenaerd.
- Vague oblique fold.
= Possibly a drawing inspired by one of Wicart's views along the River De Lek (see for example the drawing of Capelle aan de IJssel by Wicart, kept in the Rijksmuseum).
- Sharp fold in upper left corner; a few vague creases.
- Sl. foxed/ yellowed.