5416 - 5477 FINE ARTS - OPTICAL VIEWS and related prints and objects
- Trifle foxed. = Rare.
"Gezicht van de Reguliers of Munts- Tooren van de Cingel te zien, tot Amsterdam." Contemp. handcol. engr. optical view, w. caption in Dutch, German and French below the image, Augsburg, I. Camine, ±1760. - ADDED: 19 others, all engr. views of Amsterdam, i.a. "Gezigt op de Oude Kerk, van buiten, aan de zuidzijde." (by P. VAN LIENDER, ±1760) and "The Stadt House, Amsterdam" (handcol. engr. view by S. PORTER after TAYLOR, early 19th cent.).
- "Luna" and "Mercure" waterstained in blank margin, sl. affecting image of "Mercure"; "Jupiter" w. sm. closed tear in lower margin, affecting caption and sm. part of image; "Venus" upper margin cut of w. loss off title (possibly under frame).
= Sixt v. Kapff K399-400, 402-404.
Der verlorene Sohn ein Schweinehirt. Contemp. handcol. engr. optical view, engr. captions in Latin and Italian, ibid., idem, ±1725, framed.
- Cut short w. loss of title and German and French captions; sl. foxed. = Sixt v. Kapff K348.
- A few creases in image; tears in blank margins, not affecting image; professionally restored (on verso); stain in left blank margin, just touching image; frayed along extremities.
- Both sl. creased and vaguely waterst. in blank margins, but fine.
- Some fxing. = Sixt von Kapff K299.
- Sl. thumb-/ dustsoiled; partly scratched. = Sixt v. Kapff K 194.
ADDED: 2 similar optical views of Gouda and London.
- Paper over board frame partly worn off. Otherwise fine.
= This type of diorama was made in the first half of the 19th cent. for the Dutch colonists. Gerrit Schouten was the most successful of the diorama makers. The scene presented here shows indigenous "Indians" in various activities: a woman carving up a suspended carcass in a hut, a man seated in a hammock holding a bunch of arrows in his arms, a man fishing in the river, another man stepping out of his canoe and a couple of dogs. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXIX.
- Paper over board frame partly dam. Otherwise fine.
= This type of diorama was made in the first half of the 19th cent. for the Dutch colonists. Gerrit Schouten was the most successful of the diorama makers. The present scene shows women cooking in their hut, a hunting man carrying a gun and accompanied by his dog, a man in boat and another dog near the cooking women. The painted background scene shows a thatched house and barn. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXIX.
- Tipped onto board mount along edges; sl. creased, yellowed and fingersoiled; waterst. in caption.
= Nice view w. many ships and mills.
- Doubled w. sl. later stiff paper.
"A View General of the City of Havana of Amerique." Handcol. engr. optical view, engr. captions in English and French above and below image, ibid., Daumont, ±1770.
- Doubled w. sl. later stiff paper; waterst./ sl. yellowed.
ADDED: 2 optical views of London and Venice, both mounted on board and foxed (London cut short).
- Sl. (finger)soiled/ foxed; ''D 3'' written in upper blank margin.
- Sl. creased/ (dust)soiled; 1st view w. vague waterstain. = SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXVIII.
- Both sl. soiled; 1st view w. vague waterstain; 2nd view w. sm. tear in lower margin, sl. affecting text.
= Rare views. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXX.
- All sl. foxed/ creased; 2nd view outer lower corner torn off, sl. affecting text; last two views brown stains on verso, sl. shining through.
= Sixt v. Kapff K 67-70.
- Vague fold in the middle; sl. foxed/ (dust)soiled; partial annot. in upper blank margin.
= Sixt von Kapff K 143.
AND: ''Partie du grand Canal plus outre du Pont de Juif a Venise". Contemp. handcol. engr. optical view, numb. "VI", Latin and French captions, without adress (Augsb., G.B. Probst), ±1750.
- Sm. tear in lower blank margin, sl. affecting the image; vague waterstain in upper right corner; part of annot. in upper blank margin.
= Cf. Sixt von Kapff K 163, captions in a different font.
- Repaired tear in upper margin (±9,5 cm.), affecting image.
"Prospect des alten Palastes der Czare im Kreml zu Moscau". Contemp. handcol. engr. optical view by I. CARMINE, engr. captions in German and French below, without address, ±1760.
- Repaired tear in upper margin (±9,5 cm.), affecting image and upper margin lacks portion, touching the sky.
AND 1 other: "Dibuxo d'una placa a Petersburg en Russia" (stained; upper margin some defects).
- Sl. creased/ soiled. = Sixt von Kapff K 72.
ADDED: ''Allée a côté gauche, du jardin de plaisance.'' Contemp. handcol. optical view engr. by G.G. WINCKLER, captions in Latin, French, Italian and German and ''no. 5" below image, Augsburg, G.B. Probst, ±1750 (sl. dustsoiled; Sixt von Kapff K 391).