2081 - 2468 NATURAL HISTORY, MEDICINE, SCIENCE, TECHNOLOGY, TRANSPORT etc.
- A few sm. scattered stamps on prelim. lvs. All vols. corners showing and binding (sl.) worn/ bumped along extremities.
= Brunet I, 602.
- Lacks 3 plates, 2 of which are replaced by contemp. handdrawn copies; sl. yellowed, foxed and fingersoiled. Bindings rubbed and sl. worn.
= Incl. the often lacking supplemental vols. 7 and 8 titled Voeux d'un Solitaire, pour servir de suite aux Études de la Nature.
- Spine sunned and w. sm. dam. spot at foot of spine. Otherwise fine.
= First published in 1934, this collection contains four articles and an introductory survey. Originally written for various journals during the 1920s, the articles concern themselves with the epistemological significance of discoveries in quantum physics. Although aimed at physicists, they are generally non-technical, with only one using some elementary mathematics.
= With AUTOGRAPH DEDICATION "fra Forfatteren" [from the author] to linguist Louis Hjelmslev on title-p.
AND 2 others by the same: Om atomernes bygning (ibid., 1923, 1st ed., ills., orig. wr.) and The penetration of atomic particles through matter (ibid., 1948, 1st ed., ills., orig. wr.).
- Both vols. owner's entry on first free endpaper. Vol. 2 portion of backstrip loosening.
- Bookplate (of Bob Luza) on upper pastedown. Spine sl. rubbed; top of spine chipped.
= Cf. Ferguson I, p.15; cf. Caillet 129.
- (Contemp.) annots on endpapers; partly marginally waterst. Binding partly loosening; vellum soiled.
= Rare. Not in BMN and Nissen.
- Lacks first vol.; pagination erratic but complete; waterstained in margins throughout (also affecting text); libr. stamps on htitle, engr. titles and printed title; occas. wormholed in blank margin. Spines dam. (esp. at ends); corners worn. Sold w.a.f.
= Nissen, BBI 103; Pritzel 504; Hunt 251; Plesch II, 41.
- Occas. foxed; all vols. bookplate on upper pastedown (and first free endpaper). Joints vol. 1 and 2 sl. rubbed; vols. 3-6 prob. bound sl. later than vols. 1 and 2, but in an almost identical binding.
= Nissen, BBI 107; Pritzel 524. Main work of William Baxter, curator of the Botanical Garden of Oxford. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXXIII.
- A few plates trifle foxed. = Nissen, BBI 187. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXXIV.
- New endpapers.
- Some foxing. Bindings w. some rubbed spots. Otherwise fine.
= Vol. 7 also separately published as Iconographie Végétale (...). Nissen, BBI 349. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXXIV.
- Title-p. sl. browned; a few quires yellowed/ sl. browned; part of the "Synopsis Iconum et Descriptionum novarum" leaf lacking and replaced with 19th cent. manuscript section; first part outer blank margin of A1 waterstained and of A4 waterstained and restored; occas. sl. foxed; new endpapers. Later vellum backstrip.
= Nissen, BBI 368. Rare. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXXV.
- Occas. trifle foxed, but generally fine; endpapers sl. browned. Rebound w. use of the orig. gilt mor. backstrip; covers sl. rubbed.
= Nissen, BBI p.228.
- Occas. trifle foxed. Vol. 1-5 cover sl. chafed; vol. 6 frontcover loose.
= Nissen BBI, 2350; Hunt 689; Pritzel 2007; Henrey 472. "The first and most important botanical magazine made up of 'figures' of plants and short descriptions" (Hunt). SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXXV.
- Professionally restored copy, i.a. title-p. doubled, htitle remargined; browned; partly waterstained, occas. touching text; new endpapers. A few (water?) stains on spine; brass needs polishing.
= Second Dutch ed. of this major herbal. Nissen, BBI 518; Pritzel 2345; Hunger sale 209; Bibl. Belg. D120; Simoni, Low Countries 1601-1621, D69.
- Lacks final index leaf; some lvs. repaired w. paper; crossed-out owner's entry on title-p.; occas. sl. (water)stained.
= Nissen, BBI 514; Hunt I, 104; Bibl. Belg. D 114; Voet 1098. The second edition, the first published one year ealier. "The larger part of the illustrations of the 1568-edition have been used again, in all 103 woodcuts. Have not been retaken: the 4 illustrations figuring in the 1568-edition on pp.301, 302, 304, 306. The illustration on p.167 has been replaced by a new one. Have been added: the illustrations on pp.54, 112, 173, 185, 258. The illustration on p.165 has been re-arranged." (Voet). SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXXV.
- Binding sl. rubbed and worn. Internally fine. = SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXXV.
- Binding w. some rubbed spots; letterpiece sl. chipped. A fine copy.
= Cf. Nissen, BBI 544 (1st ed. 1760).