881 - 1017 FOREIGN HISTORY and TOPOGRAPHY, TRAVELS
- Incomplete copy: lacks title-p., htitle and 13 plates; some pages corners/ margins restored; a few tears closed; occas. waterstained in outer margins (partly affecting text/ plates); recased. New (matching) backcover; rebacked w. use of orig. backstrip. Sold w.a.f.
= Cordier p.385; Alt-Japan Kat. p.1049; Tiele 762; Lipperheide Lf1.
- All vols. w. scattered library stamp; some plates and maps lacking and surrounding leaves loose/ lacking; occas. sl. foxed. Two vols. backstrip dam.
= Attractive plates, incl. i.a. a view of Paramaribo and various ethnic types.
- A few plates sl. waterst. in upper left corner; occas. trifle foxed. Final vol. wrappers frayed/ dam.
= Gay 3251; Tiele 870; Landwehr, Dutch Books w. Coloured Plates 394; Nissen ZBI, 3215. Rare, even in this incomplete condition. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XXIX.
- Lacks at least 76 plates; upper hinge weak; bookblock shaken; yellowed; occas. straight cuts in inner margin from removal of plates; contemp. owner's entry on first free endpaper. Vellum sl. soiled.
- Foxed copy; a few false folds in the large folding plate of the ships of the British and Combined Fleets present at conclusion of the Battle of Trafalgar. Paper over covers sl. rubbed.
= SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XXVIII.
- All vols. w. offsetting of frontisp. on title-p.; first vol. w. prize (to Edward Victor Gatacre of Eton) mounted on upper pastedown. Bindings sl. rubbed.
= Prize binding with the gilt coat of arms of WESTMINSTER CITY SCHOOL on frontcover. Fine copy.
Paasch, H. "From Keel to Truck". Marine Dictionary in English, French and German (...). Antwerp, the author, 1894, 2nd ed., (4),509,LXIIIp., helio-engr. portrait, 103 woodengr. plates w. opposite textp., contemp. gilt pict. cl., a.e.g., 4to.
- Upper hinge broken; 3 plates w. sm tear in upper blank margin; 1 plate and 14 textp. (sl.) browned. Binding waterstained.
- Bookplate on first free endpaper; owner's stamp on htitle. Otherwise fine.
= Beautiful monograph on the fast disappearing culture of the Bedouins of Qatar.
- Occas. sl. foxed; two lvs. w. (sm.) tear in blank margin; issues 11/ 15 misbound.
- Sl. yellowed and foxed.
= Colas 287; Hiler p.78; cf. Lipperheide Qk 43 (German translation); cf. Pohler III, p.538.
ADDED: Guérin, L. Les marins illustres de la France. Paris, Belin-Leprieur, 1846, VIII,632p., lithogr. title, 18 tinted lithogr. plates w. handcol. coat of arms, contemp. gilt hcalf w. mor. letterpiece.
- Occas. sl. foxed and waterst.; hinges sl. weak. Binding rubbed.
- A few library stamps and annots. on title-p. Binding sl. dustsoiled.
= Instruction book on the Soviet military vehicle 9P122, part of the 9K14M Malyutka-M anti-tank complex.
= Archaeology of the Mary Rose, vol. 3.
Das Büchsenmeister- und Kriegsbuch des Johannes Bengedans Kriegskunst und Kanonen. Ed. H. Blosen, R.A. Olsen a.o. Aarhus, Universitetsforlag, 2006, 2 vols.., 287,(1); 149,(1)p., richly illustrated, orig. unif. boards, slipcase, folio.
= First vol. contains the fascsimile of the manuscript and the German translation; the second vol. contains the transcription as well as the commentary.
Trim, D.J.B. and Fissel, M.C. Amphibious Warfare 1000-1700. Commerce, State Formation and European Expansion. Leyden/ Boston, Brill, 2006, 498,(2)p., col. frontisp., 30 monochr. plates, orig. boards.
= History of Warfare vol. 34.
AND 10 others, various languages, i.a. E. WALBERG, Vapenlexikon Artilleri 1350-1880 (Stockholm, 2017, num. mainly col. ills., orig. giltlettered cl.); B. LAVERY, The Arming and Fitting of English Ships of War 1600-1815 (London, 1987, num. ills., orig. boards w. dustwr., 4to); F.G. DE WILDE, De uniformen van het Nederlandse leger ten tijde van de Bataafse Republiek en het Koninkrijk Holland 1795-1810 (Amst., 1999, col. ills., orig. boards w. dustwr., 4to) and A FAREWELL TO ARMS, Studies on the history of arms and armour. Liber Armoricum in honour of Jan Piet Puype (...) (Delft, 2004, num. ills., orig. boards, 4to).
- Most vols. owner's stamp on (h)title-p. Otherwise fine.
- Frontisp. trifle dampstained in outer margins. Backstrip has traces of silverfish nibbling at foot of spine and at lower end of joint. Otherwise a fine copy.
- Sl. foxed at the beginning and end; bookplate on verso htitle. Backstrip sl. foxed.
= "A Pakeha Maori" means "A European turned native". Maning moved to New Zealand in 1833, where he worked as a trader in timber and flax. Through his work and his marriage with the sister of a Maori chief, he became very well acqainted with Maori culture, customs and language. Old New Zealand was first published in 1863 and has since become a classic of New Zealand literature.
AND 2 others, both on Captain Cook, i.a. J.C. BEAGLEHOLE, The Life of Captain James Cook (London, The Hakluyt Society, 1974, col. frontisp., plates, orig. cl. w. dustwr. Hakluyt Society, extra series XXXVII).
- Plates generally yellowed; one plate censored w. pen and ink.
= Cf. O'Reilly/ Reitman 3773; Hill 485: "Domény de Rienzi gathered a particularly important collection of material on Malaysia, Micronesia, Polynesia and Melanesia. The work contains a thorough discussion of the area's peoples, natural history, geography, and commerce, as well as the history of its exploration. This edition also contains handsome illustrations and maps." SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XXIX.
- Foxed almost throughout. Joints of all vols. split(ting); paper over covers partly nibbled by silver fish.
= O'Reilly/ Reitman 3773; Hill 485: "Domény de Rienzi gathered a particularly important collection of material on Malaysia, Micronesia, Polynesia and Melanesia. The work contains a thorough discussion of the area's peoples, natural history, geography, and commerce, as well as the history of its exploration. This edition also contains handsome illustrations and maps."
- Map w. sm. tear in inner margin, just touching image. All vols. spines dam.; joints (starting to) split; covers rubbed.
Idem. Histoire des révolutions d'Angleterre. Paris, Belin, 1794, new. enl. ed., 4 vols., contemp. unif. marbled calf w. gilt spine and 2 contrasting mor. letterpieces.
- All vols. some offsetting from turn-ins; occas. trifle foxed; vol. 3 three lvs. waterst. in outer margin. All vols. backstrips discol. and lacking volumepiece; vols. 2 and 4 frontcover w. chafed spot; vols. 1 and 4 top of spine dam.