1359 - 1565 FINE PRINTING and ILLUSTRATED BOOKS (including CARICATURE)
- Backcover sl. faded; foot of spine sm. worn spot. Fine copy.
= One of 21 numb. and signed copies containing a suite of all the ills. w. remarques and 2 orig. drawings in pencil (designs for two of the engravings). Monod 7484. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XLII.
- Top of box sl. worn.
= One of 36 numb. copies of the definitive edition. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XLIII.
- A few lvs. unopened/ sl. stained/ yellowed. Binding sl. (damp)stained/ worn along extremities; corners showing. Otherwise fine.
= Rare. Wade 232; not in Miller.
- Small tear in lower inner margin first (sl. browned) lithograph. Upper joints slipcase splitting.
= One of 225 numbered copies of a total limited edition of 275 on hand-made "papier spécial pur chanvre" from the Canson et Montgolfier paper mill. Text printed by Pierre Bricage, lithographs printed under the supervision of Fernand Mourlot. All stones were erased after printing. Monod 7468.
- Contents occas. sl. foxed (first and last lvs. worse). Chemise and slipcase stained.
= Guérin 64-75; Monod 8793. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XLII.
= One of 170 numb. copies on vergé de Montval. The only publication with etchings by A. Maillol. Monod 9911.
- Frontwrapper sl. browned from offsetting. Top of spine, upper corners and margins of covers (sl.) rubbed. Otherwise fine.
= Ritter Ca 45; Vorms/ Von der Gabelentz 45. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XLIV.
= Consisting of 8 col. plates of scenes depicting prostitutes at the beginning of the 20th cent., each w. a monochr. plate of the orig. sketch and an accompanying textleaf by the artist. Numb. and signed on the colophon; each col. plate also numb. and signed.
- Sl. foxed throughout (mainly in blank margins and not affecting the images). Paper over frontcover sl. dam.; leather over both cover stained; spine-ends (sl.) dam.
AND 1 other: J. DE LA FONTAINE, Fables (Paris, 1868, woodengr. portrait, plates and ills. by G. DORÉ, contemp. gilt red hmor., t.e.g., folio. Occas. trifle worn; upper hinge broken; binding worn along extremities).
- Fine copy. = Facs. reprint of the edition Geneva/ Paris, 1958.
- Occas. (sl.) foxed. Wr. reattached. = Braches 1260.
XII oude liederen. Ibid., S.L. van Looy, 1900, 37,(3)p., 5 plates printed in ochre and dec. title (repeated on frontwr.) by P.H. VAN MOERKERKEN JR., orig. wr.
- Bookplate on first free endpaper w. some offsetting on upper pastedown; a few lvs. sl. stained. Wr. sl. worn/ foxed.
= Braches 1233.
Moerkerken Jr., P.H. van. Modron. Een dramatisch spel. Ibid., idem, 1903, 79,(1)p., bookdec. and orig. wr. by the author.
- Occas. sl. waterstained in lower blank margin. = Braches 1235.
Moorsel, A.J.M. van. De kinkhoorn. Maastr., A.A.M. Stols, 1927, 1st ed., 46,(3)p., portrait, 1 plate and vignette on frontwr. by J.TH. TOOROP, printed in black and red in 220 numb. copies.
- Some lvs. unopened. Wr. sl. dam. at extremities.
= Trajectum ad Mosam 24. This copy printed on "Engelsch papier" w. Errata leaf loosely inserted. Van Dijk 118.
AND 11 others similar.
- Slipcase dam. Otherwise a fine copy. = Monod 8394. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XLIII.
= "Written by Christopher Morley as a suitable reply to a Christmas letter from Fra Giovanni to the Contessina Allagia which was composed by Errnets Temple Hargrove." [colophon].
Idem. A Prologue for the Old Rialto Theatre, Hoboken. N.pl., n.publ., 1928, broadside, 44x32 cm., printed in black and brown, ills.
- Browned and colours sl. faded.
= "Written (...) in the manner of the famous "Drury Lane Prologue", with no end of apologies to Dr. Johnson, and spoken by Mr. Morley at the first performance of "After Dark; or Neither Maid, Wife nor Widow", at the Old Rialto, December 10, 1928" [heading]. SIGNED in pen and ink by the author in upper margin.
AND 3 others by the same: Rubaiyat of Account Overdue (N.Y., 1935, printed in 350 copies, self-wr., 4to); The Gutenberg Address (Los Angeles, 1942, orig. wr.); D. RANDALL, The Adventure of the Notorious Forger (with a letter from Christopher Morley) (San Francisco, 1978, printed in 300 copies, orig. wr., 4to).
- No.1-3 and 5 contents loose; wr. browned, brittle and sl. soiled/ dam.
= A rare, near-complete set of this satirical-political wartime review, founded by Jean Cocteau and Paul Iribe.
- Lower corners sl. rubbed, otherwise a very fine and clean copy.
= Vicaire IV, p.1252/ 1253; Sander 516; Ray 186: "The illustrations for this book are among the most original and amusing in all of Johannot's work (...). The text is indeed a trifle, the chief merit of which lies in the opportunities it provides for Johannot's fantastic inventions. The macabre imagination which he sometimes displayed in his vignettes is fully developed here". SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XLIV.
= Oberlé, Bibliothèque Bachique 597, 33. Comprises year 1929-1939, 1949-1951, 1953-1967, 1969-1973.
- Foxed. Covers sl. soiled.
= Hughey 21a. With on verso title-p.: ''Printed from the second edition by kind permission of Messrs. Macmillan & Co. Ld.''
Cervantes Saavedra, M. de. Adventures of Don Quixote de la Mancha. Engl. transl. C. Jarvis. London, Ward, Lock and Tyler, n.d. (±1880), (6),XXIV,766p., num. woodengr. plates and ills. by T. JOHANNOT, orig. gilt dec. cl. (sl. frayed). - AND 3 others.
- Erased owner's entry on first blank. = Copy of the first edition which was published with 3 diff. imprints.
Idem. Vogelvrij. Grotesken. Antw., De Sikkel, n.d. (1928), 2nd ed., 146,(2)p., printed in 525 copies (500), orig. wr.
- Backstrip sl. discol. and top of spine sl. dam.
= "2e uitg." published June 1928 (first March 1928). "Geen nieuwe uitgave, doch het restant van de eerste, waarbij uitsluitend het omslag en de eerste 4 blz. werden vervangen" (Doc. Ned. Letk. Mus.). Van Ostaijens rare last work, published immediately after his death in 1928.
Idem. Diergaarde voor kinderen van nu./ Self-defence. Antw./ Amst., De Sikkel/ De Spieghel, 1932-1933, 1st ed., 2 vols., 85,(1); 88p., orig. unif. wr.
- A very good to fine copy w. the following minor defects: frontwr. sm. fold in upper corner; last leaf and backwr. very vague diagonal fold; backwr. lacks sm. chip of fore-edge; wrappers sl. dustsoiled as usual.
= A major publication of the modernist movement. Remarkable typography expressing the complexity of the big city. Andel p.120. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE XLIV.