1711 - 1976 NATURAL HISTORY, MEDICINE, SCIENCE, TECHNOLOGY etc.
- Sl. foxed. Paper over spine sl. dam.
- Owner's stamp on first blank/ (h)title; (sl.) foxed throughout.
AND 2 others similar: J.J. THOMSON, Notes on Recent Researches in Electricity and Magnetism (Oxford, 1893, ills., contemp. gilt cl. Backstrip dam.) and J. CLERK MAXWELL, The Electrical Researches of the honourable Henry Cavendish (n.pl., 1967, ills., orig. gilt cl.).
- Small bookseller's ticket on upper pastedown vol. 1; vol. 2 upper hinge broken; plates sl. foxed. Upper joint vol. 1 splitting; both vols. spine-ends dam.; corners showing.
= Cf. Norman Library 1466 (1st ed., 2nd issue; see the next lot); Poggendorff III, p.889; DSB IX, p.198ff: "(...) the aim of the Treatise was not to expound his theory finally to the world but to educate himself by presenting a view of the stage he had reached (...). He saw electricity not as just another branch of physics but as a subject of unique strategic importance (...)". SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LVII.
- Plates (sl.) foxed; hinges weak; vol. 1 upper hinge broken. Joints and spine-ends dam.; vol. 1 lacks half of backstrip.
= Both vols. with an errata-leaf (2p.) bound before p.1 and w. 32 publ. advert. pages at the end of vol. 2. Norman Library 1466; Poggendorff III, p.889; DSB IX, p.198ff: "(...) the aim of the Treatise was not to expound his theory finally to the world but to educate himself by presenting a view of the stage he had reached (...). He saw electricity not as just another branch of physics but as a subject of unique strategic importance (...)". From the library of J. Clay, with his stamp on htitle.
- Ex library copy w. (cancellation) stamps throughout; lacking the advert. pages. Both vols. upper cover almost loose (both holding on 1 cord); both vols. w. sm. paper ticket at foot of spine; both vols. calf sl. chafed.
= Cf. Norman Library 1466; Poggendorff III, p.889; DSB IX, p.198ff.
- Lacks vol.3. Occas. sl. foxed. Spines sunned; spine-ends dam.
= Vol.13-14 of the Encyclopédie d'histoire naturelle ou traité complet de cette science (...). Nissen, ZBI 4620.
- Fine set.
- Corners sl. worn. Otherwise fine. = Horn-Schenkling 11913.
- Modern owner's entry on upper pastedown. Bound in a somewhat confusing order but complete. Good/ fine untrimmed copy w. ample margins.
= From the library of Kikumaro Okano with his library stamp on title-p. Nissen, ZBI 3999 and 4000; Horn-S. 21554; Landwehr 191. Very fine entomological work with delicately coloured plates. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LVIII.
- Occas. (sl.) foxed.
Idem. Les grandes inventions scientifiques et industrielles chez les anciens et les modernes. Ibid., idem, 1865, 2nd ed., (4),III,(1),312p., woodengr. ills., sm. 8vo.
- Sl. foxed.
AND 11 others similar, i.a. (T.A.L.) COUNT DU MONCEL, The Telephone, the Microphone & the Phonograph (London, 1879, 70 woodengr. ills., contemp. cl. w. giltlettered spine, sm. 8vo. Owner's stamp on 1st blank/ last free endpaper) and D. BIERENS DE HAAN a.o., De wetenschap en hare toepassing (Leyden, ±1870, woodengr. ills., contemp. gilt cl., a.e.g., sm. 8vo. Frontcover soiled; spine-ends worn).
- Occas. trifle/ sl. foxed.
= Zoophytes et mollusques, 1866 (1st ed.); Oiseaux, 1876 (3rd ed.); Les poissons et les reptiles, 1876 (3rd ed.); L'homme primitif, 1876 (4th ed.); Les mammifères, 1879 (3rd ed.); La terra avan le déluge, 1879 (8th ed.); La terre et les mers, 1880 (6th ed.).
- Lacks 25 plates. Occas. sl. yellowed; 4th vol. one plate w. large tear; one plate foxed. All vols. backstrip dam./ lacking.
= From Descriptions des Arts et Métiers. Contains Part 1, sections 1-3 and Part 2, sections 1-4. Nissen, ZBI 1186; Westwood/ Satchell p.82: "One of the finest works on fishing and the fisheries in any language." SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LVIII.
- Lacks A4. Final two leaves misbound; lower blank margin occas. sl. waterstained/ fingersoiled/ wormholed. Backstrip renewed.
= SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LVIII.
- All vols. (sl.) foxed/ browned; vols.1-7 w. owner's stamp on htitle; vols. 4-6 final few lvs. sl. mould stained in upper margin; plate vol. first 6 textlvs. and last two plates foxed/ waterst. (restored). Upper joint splitting.
- Joints sl. worn. Contents fine.
AND 8 others (incl. 1 duplicate), i.a. J.C. CHENU, Leçons élémentaires d'histoire naturelle comprenant (...) un traité de conchyliologie (ibid., 1847, first ed., 12 engr. plates, num. woodengr. ills., contemp. gilt hcalf. Occas. (sl.) foxed) and V. MEUNIER, Les animaux à métamorphoses (Tours, 1867, contemp. cl. w. gilt spine, a.e.g. Occas. foxed).
- Owner's entry ("E. Laguers[?] 2044") on frontwr. Otherwise fine.
Bohr, N. Atomteori og naturbeskrivelse. 3 artikler med en indlidende oversigt. Copenhagen, Bianco Lunos, 1929, 1st ed., 76p., orig. wr.
- Wrappers browned along edges; backstrip sl. dam.
AND 1 other: IDEM, The penetration of atomic particles through matter (ibid., 1948, 1st ed., ills., orig. wr.)
- Partly sl. waterstained in outer (blank) margins. Binding sl. soiled; two stains on frontcover.
= Cf. Henrey II, p.443f (1st ed.); Hunt 452 (1st ed.): "This was the first treatise on cuttings and graftings, and it made Agricola famous". SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LIX.
- Title margins strengthened. = Not in Springer. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LVII.
- Two maps w. tear in inner margin; vol.2 a few owner's entries; vol.5 two lvs. torn (repaired w. paper tape). Good set.
= This authorized French ed. of the German classic is not merely a translation but it is considerably enlarged and most of the ills. were drawn specially for this edition. Cf. Heralds of Science, 99.
= With AUTOGRAPH DEDICATION on title-p. Offprint from Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London, Volume 144.
Idem. On the Law of the Diffusion of Gases. Edinburgh, Neill & Co., 1832, (2),37p., contemp. plain wr., 4to.
- Sl. frayed; sm. tear in outer blank margin throughout.
= With AUTOGRAPH DEDICATION on title-p. Offprint from Transactions of The Royal Society of Edinburgh.