1711 - 1976 NATURAL HISTORY, MEDICINE, SCIENCE, TECHNOLOGY etc.
- Both vols. occas. sl. foxed; vol.2 one plate sl. stained. Vol.2 top of spine dam.
= Originally publ. in 1720-1725. Bierens de Haan 1806; cf. Honeyman Coll. IV, 1541 (1st ed.); Poggendorff I, p.944. DSB V, p.510ff: "(...) The scientific reputation of 's Gravesande is enshrined in this book, which he constantly corrected and amplified in later editions. (...) his Mathematical Elements of Physics [the English translation published in 1720-1721], was easily the most influential book of its kind, at least before 1750. (...) The strength of his exposition was in his perfection of the method of justifying scientific truths either by self-evidence or by appeal to experimental verification in the manner already begun by Keill and Desaguliers, perfected by him through the design of many new instruments constructed by the instrument maker Jan van Musschenbroek (...)." Many of these instruments are illustrated on the plates.
- Both vols. w. armorial bookplate and binder's ticket on upper pastedown; owner's entry on title; occas. (sl.) foxed/ browned; vol.2 12 textlvs. and 2 plates torn over ±13 cm. (clumsily repaired). Both vols. joints splitting at foot of spine.
= Covering a host of subjects, i.a. pharmacy, stenography, galvanism, electricity, husbandry and optics. Poggendorff I, p.948.
- Spines sl. sunned.
- Endpapers sl. mouldstained; occas. foxed. Spine-ends (sl.) worn.
Temple, L. du. Communications et transmissions de la pensée. L'audition, la vue, la parole, les sons (...). Paris, J. Hetzel et Cie., n.d. (1878), (4),316,(8)p., woodengr. frontisp., 179 ills., orig. dec. gilt cl., a.e.g., bound by JEAN ENGEL.
- One p. w. sm. tear in outer blank margin; occas. sl. foxed. Corners bumped.
Rey, I.-Aristide. Travailleurs et malfaiteurs microscopiques: microbes-ferments. Ibid., idem, n.d. (±1900), 230,(8)p., woodengr. frontisp., 16 plates after MATTHIS, ills., orig. dec. gilt cl., a.e.g., bound by ANTOINE LENÈGRE (fine). - AND one other: E. MULLER, Causeries sur la nature et l'industrie (ibid., ±1885, woodengr. frontisp., 16 plates, ills., contemp. dec. gilt cl., a.e.g. Hinges broken).
- All vols. w. owner's entry on first free endpaper; occas. (sl.) foxed/ yellowed (incl. plates); vol.1 partly waterstained (incl. frontisp.); vol.3 lacks title-p., first 3 textlvs. torn/ loose(ning) and one map w. hole and tear of 4 cm. All vols. binding soiled/ stained/ dam.; cover(s) loose/ lower joint split.
= Ebert 6704b.
- One fold of fold. plate w. sm. (strengthened) split. Upper hinge weak.
Daumas, M. Scientific Instruments of the Seventeenth and Eighteenth Centuries and their Makers. English transl. M. Holbrook. London, B.T. Batsford, 1972, 361,(1)p., 142 ills. on plates, 11 text ills., orig. cl. w. dustwr., 4to. - AND 3 others, i.a. E.G.R. TAYLOR, The Haven-Finding Art. A History of Navigation from Odysseus to Captain Cook (London,1958, plates, orig. boards w. (sl. dam.) dustwr.).
- Most vols. owner's stamp on (h)title-p.
= Die Grundlehren der Mathematischen Wissenschaften in Einzeldarstellungen, Band XXVII.
- Some plates towards the end w. some occas. offsetting on opposite textlvs. Sides and flaps portfolio sl. rubbed. Otherwise a fine and complete copy.
= Fine and colourful prints of horses; with the "lijst der inteekenaren", letterpress text and the extremely rare paper wrappers included. The final wrapper erroneously calls for a 42nd plate. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LIX.
- All vols. owner's entry on title-p.; occas. owner's stamps on verso plates. Vol.1 and 2 bookblock loose; hinges broken, repaired w. tape. Vol.1 lower joint split.
- Bookseller's ticket on upper pastedown; owner's entry on title-p.; occas. sl. foxed. Fine copy.
= Cf. Mennessier de la Lance II, p.508: "(...) une véritable encyclopédie hippique".
- Lacks final 3 text lvs. of vol. 1 and title-p. of vol. 2; occas. foxed; first lvs. of vol. 2 w. brown stain.
= The first Dutch edition of this very popular general reference work, first published in France in 1709 as the "Dictionnaire Oeconomique". The Dutch translation contains 80 plates, of which some were made specifically for the Dutch edition. The plates contain a broad variety of useful information, ranging from how to catch birds, fish and mammals to distilling techniques and landscaping.
- Spine-ends professionally restored. A good/ fine set.
= The 18th cent. much enl. version of the famous "La maison rustique" by Charles Estienne and Jean Liebault, first published in Latin in 1554, in French in 1564.
- Vol. 3 and 5 (of 15) only. Both vols. bookplate on upper pastedown; occas. sl. yellowed.
- Title-p. and first textp. corner dam. (repaired); a few p. sl. wormholed in blank margin; occas. sl. foxed/ browned. Good copy.
= Bierens de Haan 2239; Poggendorff I, 1165; DSB VI, p.612, 22; Houzeau-Lancaster I, 3429. Deals i.a. with the grinding of lenses, dioptrics, geometrics, centrifugal forces, gravity and light.
- Hinges strengthened; one plate browned. Frontcover partly detached; binding severly worn; backstrip dam.
- Occas. (sl.) foxed/ browned; hinges weak; vol.2 last 10 p. waterst. in lower margin. Boards sl. worn/ dam.
- Lacks cahier 10; sl. browned/foxed. All vols. spine-ends worn/ dam.; first 2 vols. backstrip loose(ning)/ dam.; most vols. lack volume-piece.
= Easton 398.
- Owner's entry on htitle. Otherwise fine. = DSB VII, p.272.
Haber, F. Thermodynamik technischer Gasreaktionen. Sieben Vorlesungen. Munich/ Berlin, R. Oldenbourg, 1905, 1st ed., XV,(1),296p., ills., orig. cl.
- Stamp on first free endpaper. Otherwise fine. = DSB V, p.621.
AND 3 others similar: R. MAYER, Die Mechanik der Wärme in gesammelten Schriften. Ed. J.J. Weyrauch (Stuttg., 1893, 3rd enl. ed., lithogr. portrait, plate, 2 fold. facs. lvs., later (sl. stained) wr.); IDEM, Kleinere Schriften und Briefe. Ed. J.J. Weyrauch (ibid., 1893, lithogr. portrait, plate, woodengr. ills., later hcl.) and FOURTH INTERNATIONAL CONGRESS OF REFRIGERATION, LONDON JUNE 1924 (Leyden, 1924, ills., orig. (sl. sunned) wr.).
- Owner's entry on htitle. Frontcover waterstained/ dam. in upper outer corner.
= First Dutch publication on automobiles and the diesel engine, discussing the workings and performances of i.a. Daimler, Peugeot and Benz motors, as well as various electric motors. Includes 30p. of car advertisements.
Riche, A. and Halphen, G. Le pétrole: exploitation - raffinage - éclairage - chauffage - force motrice. Paris, J.-B. Baillière et Fils, 1896, (2),VI,484,16,(2)p., 115 (photogr.) ills., contemp. cl.
- Hinges broken; occas. (sl.) foxed.
AND 1 other: G.D. JERIE, Die Verbrennungsmotoren (Leipsic, 1915, 1st ed., 7 double-p. handcol. lithogr. plates, num. ills., contemp. hcl. Owner's entry on first textp.).