1977 - 2075 MANUSCRIPTS, AUTOGRAPHS, DOCUMENTS
- Bookplate on upper pastedown. Covers w. some eroded spots at lower edge; foot of spine sl. worn and w. paper ticket.
= MANUSCRIPT DEDICATION by EDUARD VAN BEINUM in pen and ink on verso frame, reading: "Een kleine, maar dankbare herinnering aan een fijne vriendschap van Eduard van Beinum".
AND 2 anonymous portraits of musicians: an engr. portrait of Anton Rubinstein and an etching and aquatint portrait of Arthur de Greef, both framed.
= Antonio Votto, Italian opera conductor and vocal coach.
AND a similar SIGNED mounted cut-out portrait by the conductor IGNAZ NEUMARK (1888-1959).
= Mostly notarial acts and deeds, i.a. concerning "een Huys metten erve, staende en leggende in de Witte Heerensteegh [Haarlem]", and properties in Ghent, Veere, Utrecht and Harlingen.
- A few tiny holes and one larger hole w. loss of text; sl. stained/ soiled.
AND a small Hebrew mezoeza, also framed.
- Two lvs. dam. = Drawings of i.a. lizards, insects and human figures.
AND 1 other Batak manuscript (wooden covers loose).
AND 1 similar lontar manuscript.
- Occas. sl. fingersoiled; corner of 2 lvs. torn loose (1x reattached). Paintings on covers w. craquelure and some small flaked spots (mainly along margins).
= Most textleaves divided in 4 parts, each w. a diagonal calligraphed text and w. texlines above and below. The nice cover paintings show 2 halflength portraits of a Persian woman in an oval frame within a richly gilt ornamental border: the woman on the front fully dressed with her arms crossed before her breasts and the woman on the back touching her uncovered breast w. one hand and with her other hand pointing upwards.
- Sl. fingersoiled. = Seemingly also contains one line in Arabic.
- Most lvs. darkened/ fingersoiled in lower margin.
- Sl. worn; yellowed; wormholed.
- Bookblock loose; stained/ (finger)soiled throughout; corner of 2 lvs. torn off (repaired). Crudely rebacked; binding worn/ stained.
- Extensive owner's annots. in Persian writing on endpapers and final textleaf; occas. sl. fingersoiled; a few owner's entries/ annots. in English ("Hindoostan Stories", "W.A. Shualti(?) B.D."). Spine-ends dam.
= Provenance annot. on lower pastedown: "Bought at Quaritch. (No.470), [...] Black 22/5/51".
- Sl. fingersoiled; first leaf lacks sm. portion of upper corner and vaguely waterst. in lower margin (w. sl. bleeding of red ink).
= Two consecutive leaves, prob. the beginning of an official document from a court or palace. Persian text interspersed with Arabic (the title being entirely in Arabic). SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXVII.