2076 - 2859 OLD and RARE BOOKS
- Two bookplates on first free endpaper in both vols.; a few fold. plates outer blank margins sl. frayed. First vol. w. sm. ticket on upper cover; binding both vols. trifle soiled.
(Heussen, H.F. van). Oudheden en gestichten van Zeeland (...). Dutch transl. H.V.R. (= H. van Rijn). Vol. 2 only. Leyden, C. Vermey, 1722, 2 parts in 1 vol., (4),56; 210,(14)p., 1 fold. engr. map, 7 fold. views, contemp. vellum.
- Lacks vol. 1. Bookplate on upper pastedown.
= Van Doorninck/ De Kempenaer, p.249; Haitsma Mulier/ Van der Lem 222.
- Upper joint splitting; binding worn/ stained; upper compartment of spine leather worn away/ dam.; rubbed/ sl. worn along extremities.
= LARGE PAPER COPY. With the 6 often lacking heraldic plates. Verkruijsse 1046; Nijhoff/ Van Hattum 282. The topographic bible of 17th century Zeeland, with splendid plans and (panoramic) views. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE CXII.
- Lacks the final 12p., comprising "Beschryving van den Zeelandschen Adel" and "Byvoegselen tot de Chronyk van Zeeland" (normally bound at the end of the work) and without the (often lacking) 6 heraldic plates; frontisp. cut trifle short in lower margin (just touching the publ. address); occas. annots. in pen and ink in margins and occas. underlining and a few annots. in red pencil; fold. views generally w. defects (fraying and duststaining) in margins and (occas.) creasing on folds; specifically both the fold. views of Middelburg and panoramas of Zierikzee need flattening (the latter also w. browned false fold); fold. plan of Middelburg tears on folds and some surrounding creases; plan of Zierikzee chipped and browned in fold. margins; view of Ambachts-heerlykheyt (...) Oost-Cappelle chipped and browned in fold. margins; Het Raadhuys tot Zierikzee dam. in inner margin; lacks first free endpaper. Vellum duststained/ soiled; lower joint splitting at foot of spine.
= Verkruijsse 1046; Nijhoff/ Van Hattum 282. The topographic bible of 17th century Zeeland, with splendid plans and (panoramic) views.
- Occas. sl. foxed in margins. Good/ fine copy.