4846 - 4921 FINE ARTS - JAPANESE PRINTS, DRAWINGS and ILLUSTRATED BOOKS, ORIENTAL and TRIBAL ARTS
- Lacks 2 woodcuts (September and October). Portfolio sl. rubbed.
= SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXIV.
- A few false folds; corners strengthened; brownish traces of former use of tape in margins (used for repairs and/ for fastening on mount).
= Rare. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXIV.
- Wood sl. splitting.
= One of the three royal Kuba masks, the ngady mwaash mask honors the role of women in Kuba life.
- Dam. at left shoulder.
= "Mbulu ngulu" was a figure placed on a tomb for the protection of the deceased.
= Nail fetish figure to identify evil or wrongdoers.
- Sl. dam. at foot of sculpture.
- Very fine copy.
= Remarkable print with an exactly matching view of the same bijin on recto (frontal view) and verso (view from the back).
In orig. board portfolio together with 5 other modern col. woodcut ôban by various artists, i.a. KIYOMITSU, UTAMARO and KYONAGA (all fine).
- Very fine copy.
In orig. board portfolio together with 5 other modern col. woodcut prints (various sizes) by various (partly anonymous) artists, i.a. HARUNOBU and UTAMARO (all fine).
- Wormholed in left margin; sl. dam. in corners and cut short; margins partly strengthened; mounted on board along margins; horizontal fold. Sold w.a.f.
AND 7 others, all monochrome woodcut bookillustrations, i.a. a woodcut of a crab under a reed plant (16x21,8 cm. Laid down). - ADDED: a small miscellaneous collection of Japanese col. woodcut items, i.a. 13 col. woodcuts on crêped paper (partly dam.), a sm. illustrated ehon (2 parts in 1 vol. Title unread) and three home-made four-sided lamp-shades: 2x with use of a Japanese col. woodcut and 1x w. use of watercolour by "C.K." (most likely Catharina Kool).
- Tipped onto mount, otherwise fine.
= Without date or artist seal, so probably a later impression. From the series showing Westerners. Rare. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LVI.