2896 - 3588 OLD and RARE BOOKS
- Sl. waterstained in lower blank margin; foxed; three stamps on verso final free endpaper
= Contains: 1. De voorname scheeps-togten van Jan Staden van Homburg in Hessen na Brazil (...); 2. De seer aanmerkelijke en vermaarde reys van Johannes Lerius na Brazil in America. Gedaan Anno 1556.
- A fine copy, apart from the following minor defects: a few quires w. sm. waterstain in lower blank outer corner (one leaf w. sl. larger waterstain, just touching the text); light stain on textp. opposite the portrait of Bredero (w. very vague offsetting on the laurel wreath surrounding the portrait on the opposite page). Vellum duststained and sl. creased. on spine.
= Unger C; Waller 328; Scheepers I, no.90, Scheurleer, Liedboeken, p.143. On the frontispiece by Jan van de Velde II, Hollstein 429, 2nd state of 2. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXV.
- Fine copy. Bookplate of G. Stuiveling and cat. clipping on upper pastedown.
= Four copies in STCN. Unger A. Very rare first edition of Bredero's first comedy. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXV.
- Binding trifle rubbed and scratched.
- New endpapers; contents sl. fingersoiled.
- Tear in one map. Backstrip worn/ sl. dam.; joints splitting; backcover scratched and chafed; corners showing.
= LARGE PAPER COPY. Nijhoff/ Van Hattum 2; Klaversma/ Hannema 47; Van Eeghen/ Van der Kellen 473. On the binding see Spoelder 3. First and only edition.
- Occas. trifle foxed; stain on verso htitle. A fine copy. = Nijhoff/ Van Hattum 50. The first illustrated edition.
- Occas. sl. foxed. Upper joint starting; covers rubbed spots. Otherwise fine.
= Klaversma/ Hannema 306; Van Eeghen/ Van der Kellen 351.
- Lacks plates 37-40; title-p. and several plates doubled; title-p. sl. darkened and soiled; most plates (vaguely) waterst. and foxed. Binding scratched and worn along extremities.
= Bonacini 1371; Cat. Fred. Muller 119. Warranted by the author.
- First 10 lvs. w. dam./ restored margins; fingersoiled and partly trifle mouldy; some underlining in col. pencail at the beginning; later pastedowns. Vellum sl. stained and soiled.
= Erichson p.74, 27.
= All suits run from VI to ace, but clubs lack the king, hearts lacks VIII, spades lacks the queen (diamonds is complete). All aces are illustrated with an anthropomorphic animal and are indicated by the word "Haes" (= hare); the knaves are indicated by the word "Sot" (= fool). Unusual and rare caricatural set of cards. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXVI.
- All but one in fine condition (one card w. swords nibbled by silverfish). = SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXVI.
- A few plates loose; occas. sl. foxed/ stained and w. minor restorations; lacks upper pastedown. Backstrip soiled; vellum sl. stained and wrinkled.
= Cole 1-73 and suppl. plates 1, 3 and 6. Biting satirical caricatures of The Great Mirror of Folly. "In neither of these [France and England] did there appear such a stout and extravagant piece as this Dutch volume" (Cole). With 4 pamphlets concerning the wind-trade bound at the end. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LXXVII.
- Textlvs. occas. sl. foxed; most plates w. (sm.) defects: (sl.) stained/ soiled/ tears, mostly in margin; occas. repaired w. tape/ doubled; 11x stained in plate, 1x cut sl. short in top margin. Spine-ends restored, still an attractive period binding.
= Cole 1-5, 7-26, 28-63; 66-72 and suppl. plates 2, 3 and 4. Biting satirical caricatures of The Great Mirror of Folly. "In neither of these [France and England] did there appear such a stout and extravagant piece as this Dutch volume" (Cole).
- Second text part without the (later published?) pp.33-52 and 15-26. Binding trifle stained.
= Cole 1-26, 28, 30-56 and 72. Biting satirical caricatures of The Great Mirror of Folly. "In neither of these [France and England] did there appear such a stout and extravagant piece as this Dutch volume" (Cole). With 4 pamphlets concerning the wind-trade bound at the end.
- Lacks one double-p. plate; "Fuyk" plate dam./ torn (corners lacking w. loss of image), cut sl. short and doubled w. later paper; "Sic Transit" plate doubled w. preceding and following text leaf; upper hinge weak; upper corner waterst. at the beginning. Binding sl. rubbed and worn along extremities; corners showing.
= Cats, STCN 2; Mus. Cats. 2.
- Vol.1 first 55 and last ±100 lvs. waterstained in upper/ outer margin (partly affecting plates/ text); one leaf w. tear of 7 cm. along plate edge; vol.2 first ±45 lvs. sl. waterstained in upper (inner) margin. Vol.2 backstrip w. sm. dam. spot. Good set.
= Cats STCN 9; Mus. Catsianum 8.
- Sl. foxed; some lvs. mispaginated; some sm. (water)stains. Bindings trifle rubbed along extremities; covers sl. soiled.
= Cats STCN 9; Mus. Catsianum 8.
- General title strengthened along margins on verso; title w. marginal tears; new endpapers; yellowed/ sl. browned.
= Museum Catsianum 116; Cats STCN 51. Very rare edition.
- Lacks the fold. engr. title; portrait of Cats cut sl. short in outer margin; occas. vaguely waterstained; a few lvs. w. inkstains. Joints splitting/ starting.
= Mus. Catsianum p.5-6; Cats Cat. STCN 225. The fourth part consists of "Lof-sangh op het geestelick houwelick van Godes sone".