5219 - 5322 FINE ARTS - JAPANESE PRINTS, DRAWINGS and ILLUSTRATED BOOKS, ORIENTAL and TRIBAL ARTS
= Title reads Kaiyô-tô oki nikkan dai-shôri. Chaïkin 46: "(...) Again one cannot but deplore the extreme scarcity of Akika's works. A tremendous power emanates from this work as if the flagship Matsushima was about to erupt from the picture (...) Let us pray and hope for more information about this elusive artist and whence he came from".
AND 4 other similar naval battle triptychs from the same war, by KOBAYASHI KIYOCHIKA (3x) and TOSHIMITSU.
- Professionally laid down on very thin Japanese paper, with tears closed incl. a large horizontal tear/ fold in upper half; fingersoiled and some parts rubbed; trimmed and probably cut short.
= Katsukawa Shunei created a similar print of the same subject.
= Signature unread but identified on mount as Daïranken (?). With collector's stamp in the shape of a Japanese signature seal on mount.
Anonymous. (19th cent.). (A sketch leaf with a double design of a landscape and a monk near a small building). Drawing, brush and ink and watercolour, 27x18,5 cm., w. manuscript text.
- A few tears on folds; some offsetting/ tiny holes on first and last plates.
- Folded once and w. creases. = Probably from a sketchbook. With small sketches of hands.
Masamitsu, T. (20th cent.). (A figure crossing a bridge in a misty forest). Watercolour, 49x32 cm., signed. - AND 14 others, all but one drawings, all sketches of i.a. flowers, birds and figures (i.a. sea spirit Shôjô).
- First leaf loose and frayed; occas. sl. foxed.
= Remarkable collection of drawings of plants, fish, insects, crustacians, amphibians etc. by a skilled draughtsman, combining bright colours with a high sense of detail and level of expressiveness. Especially the fish and crustaceans bear some resemblance to Ono Bakufu's woodcuts depicting marine life. The plants and flowers all with accompanying Japanese text. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LI.
= A design for a fictitional book cover in Japanese tradition.
AND a drawing of chickens and a basket (on linen).
- Wr. sl. worn.
= A modern example of the 3000 year old Chinese tradition of highly skillful micro-carving.
- Four drawings (sl.) dam., the others partly w. sm. undisturbing sm. cracks/ sm. holes in blank area and occas. sl. foxed. Lacks backwrapper; frontwrapper worn and sl. stained. Nevertheless a very attractive series of watercolours.
= Contains watercolours of birds (5x) and noble men and ladies in splendid costume (7x), all in sparkling bright colours. SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LII.
- Occas. sl. chipped/ w. sm. tears.
= Comprising 3 series: 12x tortures, 11x ships and 19x crafts and professions.
- Tipped onto later paper mount.
- Some bleeding and transfer of the coloured ink. Edges sl. foxed.
- Fine copy. = SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LI.
- Both title-pieces w. (sm.) tear. Chemise yellowed along inner edges and silk brocade partly sunned.
= SEE ILLUSTRATION PLATE LI.